3 June, 2006
And it hasn't even started yet. I have a hoity-toity function tonight to prep for. I had this routine DOWN in Chicago:
– Plan outfit on Friday for Saturday afternoon or night.
– Go shopping Saturday morning for that last accessory or two.
– Find much better outfit/accessory schema. Make it work at the very last minute.
– Look smashing.
My biggest finds:
– Senior prom: maroon chinese dress at a flea market (admittedly this was a few days before, but for prom this counts as last-minute).
– J&J's wedding, the first of our crowd to get hitched: asymmetrical sweater shell that is still sexy as hell, AND a hand-embroidered blue Chinese jacket in perfect shape.
– T&B's wedding: I already had a blue linen boatneck bias-cut Ralph Lauren dress, which I unenthusiastically planned to accessorize with silver. The night before, P and I went to dinner with R&M, and at that time M was obsessed with the color orange. Lightbulb. She spent the next day going around with me as I picked up orange hair and nail things, and in my greatest coup, I found matching orange shoes and purse mere hours before the wedding.
Problem today is, my secret weapons were DSW Shoe Warehouse and a panel of trusty yet ever-changing vintage stores. A car was not strictly necessary but did speed up the process greatly. Here in DC, the only DSW I know of is in the Bethesda boonies and Metro inaccessible, I don't know of any vintage stores except Mustardseed, also in Bethesda, which does not carry the type of stuff I'll need today, and my car is not working properly, in a this-could-stop-working-anytime sort of way. So it's an adventure. (Oh wait–there's a DSW in Virginia! But then I'm in Virginia.)
I should get started….I leave you with this tidbit from Overheard in New York which you really should be reading. C'mon it has a feed and everything, makes it real easy.
Hot chick: So, I just wanted to let you know I'm just coming out of a relationship.
Buff dude: Oh. Well, then I should tell you that I used to be a stripper in Chicago.
Hot chick: Hmm…I have herpes.
Buff dude: That's ok, I have two cats.
–Scruffy Duffy's, 8th Ave between 46th & 47th